MICHAEL KOWALSKY AND DARIA MUCAK-KOWALSKY FUND
This Fund was established in 2002 by Mrs. Mucak-Kowalsky to provide support to three institutions in Ukraine:
- Kyiv-Mohyla Academy National University
- Ostroh Academy National University
- Alushta Collegium in Crimea
The support to the Alushta Collegium was recently discontinued following Crimea’s annexation by Russia.
Grants are issued annually to each institution.
The amount of the annual grant is dependent on the annual income earned by the Fund.
70% of the annual grant to each institution is to be used to provide assistance through scholarships and bursaries to students of low-income backgrounds, as follows:
- in the first year, and subsequent years, of undergraduate studies in the fields of social studies, economic studies, studies pertaining to Ukrainian culture;
- in the post-graduate program (master’s degree or equivalence) for those in fields bearing on democratic educational principles andmethods;
- in the first year, and subsequent years, of undergraduate study in the fields of psychology and pedagogical sciences;
- in the first year, and subsequent years, in the fields of history and law.
30% of the annual grant to each institution is to be used to support the institution’s efforts in the fields of international relations and cooperation with other educational institutions in Ukraine and in other countries, including Canada.
The annual grants are contingent on each institution submitting annually to CFUS a report on how they used the previous year’s grant, namely, what scholarships and bursaries have been provided and the names of students assisted, as well as what University/Collegium activities have been supported through the Kowalsky Fund.