To provide financial assistance for the publication of scholarly works in the field of Ukrainian studies by Canadian academic presses.
The program provides support annually, up to a maximum of $6,500 or half the cost of publication, whichever is less. Approved grants are issued directly to the publisher and not to the author/originator of the work.
TYPES OF PUBLICATIONS SUPPORTED
The Program supports primarily original works in English or French in the field of Ukrainian studies to be published by Canadian academic presses.
Preference is given to works that have secured co-funding arrangements.
What MAY be considered: support for the publication of translations, new postsecondary textbooks, or reprints of works of exceptional scholarly value and need.
What will NOT be considered:
- belletristic works
- works already in print at the time of application
Works will be evaluated for their:
- scholarly excellence
- originality by way of advancing the field of knowledge
- usefulness and relevance to scholars and students in the field
Priority will be given to:
- works in English or French;
- works of potential use and interest to a broader rather than limited readership;
- works dealing with the history, culture, society and heritage of Ukraine and Ukrainians generally
WHO MAY APPLY
- Any scholar whose original work in the field of Ukrainian studies is to be published by a Canadian academic press
- Preference is given to scholars affiliated with Canadian postsecondary institutions.
Each submission must include a completed Application Form and the following documents/information:
- a cover letter from the author/originator of the work in question
- a letter from the intended publisher that:
- confirms its intent to publish the book and provides anticipated specifications (number of pages, press run) of the finished work and its anticipated date of publication
- confirms that the manuscript has been reviewed independently by at least 2 recognized authorities in the field and has been recommended by them for publication
- includes complete copies of these reviews; actual names of reviewers may be withheld if they were promised anonymity
- includes author’s response to each of the expert/peer reviews
- an estimate of the total cost of publication, including a budget breakdown
- the financial contribution to be made by the publisher towards the total cost of publication
- the financial contribution to be made by other funding agencies towards the total cost of publication and a letter from each agency confirming dollar commitment to the project
- a copy of the manuscript’s “preliminary material” — the preface, introduction and table of contents)
The application must include each of the above items (1) through (6); otherwise, the application will be considered incomplete.
The entire submission must be submitted electronically in PDF format to email@example.com to the attention of the CFUS Scholarly Publications Program.
The application deadline is OCTOBER 1, 2019. Late submissions will not be considered.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 416-766-9630.
A book that receives the foundation’s financial support must carry acknowledgment of that support (including the foundation’s logo) in a customary manner and place in the book.
The publisher shall provide CFUS with three (3) complimentary copies of the publication.
Decisions regarding applications under this program rest with the foundation’s Executive Committee and are final once made.
All submissions (including supporting documentation) are destroyed three months after the announcement of the final decision. No materials are returned to applicants or kept by the foundation.
The foundation reserves the right not to award any grant in years when no submission is deemed worthy of support by the Program’s review committee.
To download, please click on the links below: